Okay. Let's just pretend that I didn't take a 4 month break from blogging, and that you know (within reason) what is going on in my life. Because otherwise, this is all going to sound completely awful and random.
I guess there's really no way around that.
Instead, lets just say that the last 4 months have been a whirlwind. I can't go into all the details, but the short(ish) version of the story is that 4 months ago we were going about our little Maui life, when we ran across a little family drama, a bunch of job drama, and then a fantastic new opportunity.
Fast forward to today, and I am hanging out in Reno, NV with my awesome in-laws, while Brant is in Maui working (his new job is the fantastic opportunity). I would love to be in Maui with him, but Lucy and I flew out mid-November, with the plan that he would follow shortly, and, well.......it looks like his job will be keeping him in Maui for at least a few more weeks. More than likely, several months.
Which brings me to my main reason for this post:
(This was a very, very rough decision to make).
Lucy can't come back to Maui with us. Besides the quarantine issues, she simply can't handle the intense Maui sun. She has a skin condition called DLE - it is really mild and now that she is off island, it is almost in remission completely. She has to take a couple pills with her breakfast and dinner to keep it that way, but it is obvious to us that she thrives when she lives in a place not so close to the equator.
So........we are hoping to find someone who is willing to give her a loving home. We have sent emails, put an ad on Craigslist, talked to people in my in-laws neigborhood, and now I'm blogging about it because neither Brant or I can stand the thought of taking her to a shelter. Please help us spread the word.
If you know anyone who might have space in their home and their hearts for our Lucy dog, pass the info on. I am willing to transport her almost anywhere (our expense), and will pay for the initial vet visit to get her established and her DLE pills refilled (they are super cheap ($6 a month) through Costco, you just need a Rx from the vet).
A little bit about Lucy:
She is nine years old, and is a black lab/vizsla mix. She has been a part of our family since she was 4 months old. She can run crazy fast (although she has slowed down a bit in her senior years), and absolutely loves chasing tennis balls. And chewing on them.
She LOVES chomping on ice cubes. She'll give herself a brain freeze. Seriously.
Lucy has had many adventures: she has flown on an airplane twice. Gone to Yellowstone and barked at buffalo. Road-tripped throughout Idaho, Nevada, California, and Oregon. She has eaten two sea urchins, and learned to swim in the ocean.
She is a seriously great dog.
She is easy going, naps a lot, and is friendly with everyone. Sometimes she barks at men in baseball caps, that is her only real hang-up. She walks great on a leash, knows 'sit', 'stay', 'out of the kitchen', and 'lay down'. She is completely housebroken and is non-destructive (you don't have to worry about her chewing shoes, furniture, etc).
If you give her love and attention (and ice cubes), she will be your best friend.
We took her to the vet for a check-up right before leaving Maui. The vet confirmed that she is in excellent health and should have many good years left. She is micro-chipped and current on all vaccines.
She is submissive and has never shown any aggression towards another dog or human. She has spent some time around small children and had zero problems.
No dog is perfect, and as great as Lucy is, you should also be aware of her less than favorable characteristics: sometimes she is picky about eating. She snores. She barks at men in baseball caps. She can't be out in the sun as long as other dogs. She has to take pills everyday, and if she does happen to have a DLE breakout, you have to give her another dose of pills to make it go away.
Believe me, the good in Lucy far outweighs the bad. She is not a dog we can take to the shelter. She is worth every penny, every effort to find a good home.
This is getting long winded, I know. So let's leave it at this: if you know of anyone who might be interested, please Facebook me or comment through this blog. I can provide more details of our situation privately.
(P.S...I also feel like I should say that we are also open to more 'temporary' solutions for Lucy. We will most likely be back on the mainland in a few months. And while we think it would be a better adjustment for her to have a permanent new family, it may also work out if you would be willing to provide her with a temporary foster family, until we can take her back. We are looking into all options).