Monday, May 9, 2011

Snails, Sales, and Sugar


Found this guy in our yard yesterday.



We hung out for awhile. The dogs tried to eat him.



Finally sent him on his way. 

P.S. How cool is that spider on the blade of grass?

The weekend was awesome. I am reeling from the amount of sugar consumed. Did you know Hot Tamales and Starbursts are both gluten free? Halle-freaking-luja.

Saturday morning we went to the Seabury Hall Craft Fair.  Seabury Hall is a private school here in Makawao that takes students from 6th -12th grade. The craft fair is an annual event that fundraises for student tuition financial aid. The campus is amazing! I can't believe kids get to go to school there. Our landlord is the principle of the Seabury middle school and gave us passes to the craft fair. Score. While we were looking forward to checking out the vendors and food, we were mostly excited because there was a rummage sale.

Brant scored a never-used gps unit for $10.
I scored a blender for $3.

We also got a couple of beach towels, a hat and visor for me to run in, and work shoes for Brant.

Oh, and and eggplant and pineapple at the craft fair farmer's market.

I could pretty much die from excitement over my blender. It's an older one, maybe from the early 80's? But it's super clean, and holy motor it is powerful. Smoothies and banana ice cream here I come.

We went grocery shopping Saturday afternoon and got Brant the rest of the ingredients to make his 'dirty coleslaw.' Our landlords wanted to try it and had bought the cabbage and blue cheese - we just had to buy the rest of the ingreds and make it. Martha Brant was disappointed because although it still tasted good, it tasted different than usual. I think it was because we used a different balsamic vinegar than usual. Certainly didn't stop us from eating the entire batch in less than 24 hours.

Speaking of Brant's culinary skills, this is the dinner he made last night:


It was phenomenal. Black beans and rice, all seasoned up. Avocado, butter lettuce, cilantro, widow-maker hot sauce. And a hearty portion of dirty slaw. He doesn't cook often, but when he does, oh man is it good.

The rest of the weekend was spent pretty much like this:


Law & Order, NCIS, Top Gear, lounging, sleeping, candy, more sleeping.

I got my 5 miles in Saturday morning. More rain running. Looks like it's fairly clear out there now, so I better get going.

Hope you had a lovely weekend too.


2 comments:

  1. What's dirty coleslaw? Recipe please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful food Elsa, you have a winner! I love food that is not only pretty but yummy to eat. I have had the coleslaw..... AWESOME. I would love the recipe as well. Loving your blog, you’re a great story teller, sometimes I feel like I am sitting in the sun with you…. Love Hawaii, I never doubt for a second that just being there is like heaven for you guys. Enjoy every moment…. Darla

    ReplyDelete