Day four began with a tsunami.
Now, minus the devastation in Japan from the earthquake and tsunami, and minus the devastation in southern California and other areas affected by tsunami surges (because, HELLO, of course that is awful, and please don't take my words to mean that I don't care about those suffering right now, because dudes, this is definately a more tongue in cheek reaction to the days events), I have to say.......it was kind of exciting.
(And there you have a record long run-on sentence with probably multiple grammar errors. I was an English major, thank you very much).
Anyway, it was exciting. In the sense that hey, on our 4th day of our life here on Maui there was a tsunami warning, some surges, and some damage. It was exciting because I was not in danger and could lean against the fence in the Pukalani Foodland parking lot and look out over the skinny part of the island and see the waves coming in. There were quite a few of us there gawking this morning. A guy I met there told me how to read the waves and tell if they were regular waves crashing on the reef or if it was a surge. And that was kind of cool. In a selfish way.
But for so many, today was anything but cool and exciting.
I can't imagine the terror and devastation they have experienced.
And the trouble and difficulty they may continue to experience as the mess from all this gets cleaned up.
I'm not one to push my beliefs on anyone. I try not to anyway. But if you ask me (which you didn't, but it's my blog so neener, neener), these are serious times my friends. Not grab-your-food-supply-and-head-to-the-hills kind of times, but serious times nonetheless. Birth pangs, the Bible calls them. Times for reflection and softening and reality checks. I know people always say crap like that when terrible things happen. Remember how so many people prayed and called out to God after 911? And remember how that lasted for like, a week or two? Devistation brings us to our knees. We feel small.
And I believe we are.
Anyway, I do think all the disasters happening with increasing frequency are directly related to Bible stuff. I can't quote you a verse, I don't go to church, I don't have any answers. I just know what I know, and what I know for certain is that we are not alone. Even when waves sweep us away and the earth crumbles.
Wow, so in the span of this post I've gone from selfish excitement to pseudo Bible quotes.
Sorry if my opinions alienate you. But I gotta call it like I see it, you know?
Anyway, thank you to everyone who texted and facebooked us to warn us of potential danger. I'm thankful we weren't camping on the beach and didn't have to pick up our tent and run :).
Aloha.
No comments:
Post a Comment