Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Honu Sunbather

Before Saturday, I'd never seen a turtle come on shore.




Of course, I'd heard of them coming on to sand to lay eggs, but this one was definitely not doing that.





This one likes to play in the waves in front of the condo. We were watching her from the lanai, when she caught a wave in and crawled up on shore.




I called the Marine Mammal Hotline to ask if this was a normal behavior, or if there were signs of distress we should look for. The guy I spoke with said it is pretty rare to witness, but normal for a turtle to come onto the sand to sun themselves or take a nap.




We of course stayed a respectful distance away. All species of sea turtles in Hawaii are protected under the Endangered Species Act.  Hello zoom lens.


 




She went back in the water after an hour or so.





Reason #82 I love living here:


Large portions of the afternoon may be unexpectedly devoted to witnessing something amazing.








No comments:

Post a Comment