The dogs and I spent 5 days in Portland with these people:
![]() |
| Love, love, love all of them. |
So much anticipation.
Surprisingly little stress.
So many really fun memories.
Convinced my favorite father in law to try kombucha. Watched him gag.
Lot's of P.F. Chang's action
![]() |
| Self portrait, Portland hotel, night before Maui |
And then................................
there we were.
![]() |
| Is that Kmart? |
He startled me at the airport, with his aviators and scraggly hair. I loved it. We picked Maddie and Lucy up and drove off into the afternoon rain. I remember the air felt thick and floral. Life was at once salty and green and so incredibly warm. I was pale and pasty and we needed an airbed to sleep on that night. Costco it was.
![]() |
| Dogs who fly. |
I was busy learning what it was like to have family members in crisis and be 2500 miles away. Conclusion? It's a blessing and a curse. (Name that show?)
I was busy learning how to run upcountry roads.
![]() |
| I love hills. |
Busy being bit by a centipede.
No picture. You are welcome.
Busy living in this ohana with no kitchen, plumbing, etc for a month.
![]() |
| We lived on tuna, pistachios, and rice krispy treats. And it was awesome. |
I learned how to live, and be happy, with very, very few material possessions. And then I bought some stuff.
In the past year I've learned that I can and will be happy, no matter where on this earth we live. The snowy Midwest would certainly be pushing things a little (and I have NO intentions of moving there) but I know now........I will be happy wherever we are.
I've learned how much I value family and friends. Intellectually, I knew I would miss them. Duh. But whoa, now I know how it feels to be homesick. To need my mom. To need a night out with a girlfriend. I can honestly say that my values have changed in this area. Moving to an island made me a hugger.
I now wear pink and hug people. Feel free to roll your eyes.
An introvert I am, but I love, love love my peeps. And I need you guys.
![]() |
| Sunset on the pali |
The second year has been......rough so far. But still good. Always good.
No regrets. (Just hugs)








No comments:
Post a Comment