Thursday, March 10, 2011

Runs, Hills, and Day Three

Okay, so I never made it to the beach yesterday. Brant realized he had no money and no food for lunch, so I had to drive back up the hill with food for him. By the time I got that done, there was no time to make it to the beach and back before our appointment to see a rental. No worries though, we plan to hit the west side beaches this weekend.

The rental we saw was interesting. Well, the place itself was spectacular. It was further up the hill from where we are now and had amazing views. I think we would have rented it in a heartbeat, except for the fact that our car barely made it out of the neighborhood. The roads were one lane, winding, and hilly. Sometimes they were grass and sometimes pavement. I really can't even describe how hilly they are. I've never seen roads like this. You'd go up this crazy steep hill, get to the top and not be able to see the downhill till you were already 1/2 down and then BAM there would be this huge bump in the road - kind of like monster tree roots had grown under the pavement and pushed it up into a crazy inverted V shape. Now I understand why so many people here drive lifted 4x4's. Holy crap. We made it to the rental okay, but on the way out we nearly bottomed out on one of the crazy bumps. Took 6 or 7 tries to finally make it over and the coupe just scraped along, making the most horrid noise.

So yeah, I don't think we will live there. We'd have to sell our car.

Anyway, here's a shot of where we are staying now.


We use an outside shower and toilet a few yards away.

Outside showers are pretty invigorating.


I went for my first run here this morning. Holy hills. It was awesome. My last run in Boise was a flat, fast 5 miles. This morning I did a hilly 2 miles and thought about dying. But in a good, OMG sort of way. Definitely going to need trail running shoes.

Alright, I'm off to continue the rental search and buy an apple banana.

Aloha.


1 comment: