I stole the coupe from Brant this morning and drove to the Twin Falls area for a hike with a group I found out about on Craigslist.
You might be thinking:
a. Twin Falls? As in...Idaho?
No. Twin Falls, Maui!!! Crazy how Idaho follows me here.
b. A group you met on Craigslist? Have you not heard of the Craigslist killer?
Well lucky for me, the guy forming this hiking group is not a killer. He turns out to be very nice.
This is the Twin Falls fruit stand we met at. This is a popular tourist spot on the Road to Hana drive. There is a little smoothie shack and a picnic area.
Walking back behind the fruit stand you follow a gravel path for a ways. It is nice and flat. Easy peasy.
And there are pretty flowers to look at along the way.
Besides the guy who is organizing the group (Erik) only one other person showed up - Erik's friend Kevin. These guys were both cool and fun to hike with. Had they been alarming in any way, I probably just would have bought a coconut at the fruit stand and gone home.
That is Erik. None of the pictures I took of Kevin turned out. Which is too bad. :( The falls were very pretty and felt fairly secluded. I don't know if it was because we got there early, or if tourists just don't generally hike as far as the falls (which are not far at all, less than a mile maybe?) but we saw very few people out there. Which is fine by me.
The trees were cool too,
But my favorite was this:
![]() |
| Some sort of fungi? |
All in all I had a great time. It was fun to get out of the house, meet other people, and explore a bit of the island. This hike was not strenuous at all, and would be great for people of all fitness levels. I plan on participating in any other hikes Erik organizes. I mean, THIS is so much of the reason I wanted to move here - to be able to take advantage of the amazing landscape and weather! I've been a bit secluded since we've been here, and it's been hard to get to know people. Today was a great step towards feeling more settled - really getting out there and getting involved. So yay.








looks like costa--I want to go to twin falls
ReplyDeleteI think that's pilea under the schrooms on the tree
ReplyDeleteBonez, I love how your plant mind works. And get this - one of the guys I was hiking with used to live in Costa Rica. He said the SAME thing you did about gardening there - that it's all about cutting back growth. YOU KNOW every time he began a sentence I wanted to toss in a 'when I lived in...'
ReplyDeleteIt made me miss you even more. :(
awww-super cool
ReplyDelete