Wednesday, March 16, 2011

We got the house!

I'd show you my excited face, but blogger is being a booger and won't upload my photos.

Anyways, I've very excited and relieved to have found a place. We are in the process of signing the lease and paying the deposit. We will move in on April 1st. It's pseudo camping like we have been till then.

So excited to be able to cook again!
So excited to decorate and go garage sale shopping for household stuff!

The place we are renting is the lower portion of a home. Our landlords are a very cool couple with a kid and a dog. We all get along great. We have our own private entrance and patio area. It has lots of counter space in the kitchen, cute tile floor, and is very clean. I'll post pics when we move in.

The thing I've learned about living here, is that no matter where you live, unless you have money like Oprah you are going to be living with people. Like, in very close proximity to other people, other families. You are stacked on top of one another in a condo units. None of the homes are 'single family' units. They all have portions that are rented out (ohanas). The ohana may be detatched, attached, upstairs, or downstairs, but 99% of the time, there is an ohana. Homes are expensive and having an ohana to rent out makes the mortgage payments easier/doable.

I've always been such an introvert. I still am. I need time to myself and my own space. But what I am realizing is that it is next to impossible to live over here without being around people a lot more than I am used to. You live right next to each other! With thin walls! Personal privacy is very different here. Where we live now, we can hear when the people in the main house go to the bathroom or cook in the kitchen. I shower at a (somewhat enclosed) outdoor shower with the handyman John working nearby. No, he can't see me, but it's still so..........open. 

Bottom line though, I love it. I love it here. And I will get used to whatever I don't love.

Can't be an introvert forever, I guess. :)



3 comments: