Friday, April 29, 2011

CENTIPEDE.


Here’s the thing - you probably aren’t going to want to come and visit me after reading this post.

That’s fine. I understand.

In a pro/con list, Maui doesn’t have a whole lot lined up in the con column – especially when it comes to potentially dangerous wildlife. No snakes, no rabies, no bears, lions, etc.

This is a superficial list of course, and I’m no expert, but to my knowledge the main things we have are: cane spiders (which are huge but not dangerous), crab spiders (heard they are poisonous but they are small and not intimidating), cockroaches (who could forget those), and…..we have giant centipedes. From my googling, I gather that these centipedes are generally considered the worst of what Hawaii has to offer.

I had heard of these centipedes before we moved here – heard their bite was extremely painful. A family member was bitten by one a few years back and I remember laughing with her as she re-told her story of waking up in the night to intense pain in her foot, and feeling the centipede slither through her toes.

Oh, it’s so easy to laugh when nothing is slithering through your own toes.

All of this is leading up to:

I was bitten by a giant centipede last night.

In my bed. On my arm. While I was asleep.

I’m not gonna church it up here – more than a few curse words were said. And also? If Willie Nelson had been nearby, I would have gladly accepted his special ‘pain relief.' That is how bad it hurt.

Judge all you want.

This is the jerkwad that bit me:

That protrusion? Some of his guts.

 And just to bring it to scale, here he is again, next to my flip flop. 




Just looking at him makes me want to light our house on fire.

Here’s how it went down: Brant and I were in our bed asleep. Our bed is raised off the floor by a metal bedframe, but the head of the bed does touch the wall.  At about 12:30 am I was sleeping on my back, with my arms up above my head. I never really felt the centipede crawling on me, but woke up with an intense burning, stabbing pain in my forearm. I was groggy and just remember realizing that the pain was real, and telling Brant there must be something in the bed because I think I just got bit.

I was totally thinking maybe it was a cockroach (do they even bite?) or a crab spider. Gross, but not a huge deal.

I got to the bathroom, flipped on the light and saw two bite marks, like snake fangs in my arm.



O.M.G.

Wha?

I just remember thinking ‘but Maui doesn’t have snakes….’

It made no sense. Still hadn’t really occurred to me that it could have been a centipede. I was under the impression that they lived down by the beach, not upcountry where we live.

I was so wrong.

Brant (my hero) started shaking out the sheets while I walked around and freaked out. My arm really started to hurt. We were so confused because we couldn’t find any possible culprit at first. Then I heard him yell and tell me to stay in the bathroom. I was all, what is it? What bit me? And he was all it’s a centipede! And it’s huge!



During the next few minutes, there was a whole lot more freaking out on my part. My arm hurt SO bad and I had to keep holding it above my head, or it hurt worse. Brant waited for the centipede to come out of the sheets and drop onto the tile floor. Then, my brave hero-husband, who hates all kinds of bugs, killed that centipede dead with a shoe. I’m pretty sure he realized that I was loosing my marbles and was in no way going to be able to handle the situation.

I wanted to see what bit me. I needed an image to put with the experience, so I wouldn’t always wonder. So my mind wouldn’t create a worse scenario than what really happened.

After he hit it with the shoe, Brant stood there for awhile staring at it (um, probably trying to figure out what the heck to DO with it?) and I came out of the bathroom and crept around the side of the bed to get a look. I had asked how big it was, and Brant said maybe 6 inches or so?. But I was not prepared for how disgusting it really was.

Have you ever had a moment where your mind is telling you to do one thing, but your body just has a mind of it’s own as is physically not able to listen and apply what the mind is telling it?

Well, I had a moment like that when I saw the centipede.



My mind said Okay, calm down, it is dead. It can’t hurt you anymore. It’s over and you need to calm down. Everything is okay.

But my body said EMERGENCY! THAT THING WAS ON YOUR BODY!!! GET UP ON TOP OF THE CHAIR!!!! I started shaking uncontrollably and felt like I couldn’t breathe.

I just remember wondering if Maddie would fit in a suitcase, and thinking holy crap I can’t do this, can’t live here, we have to go NOW.

It might be a little over-dramatic, but seriously, if you could have handled that crap better than me, come on over. I’ve got a bed you can sleep in.

It crawled on me in my bed, while I was asleep and bit the ever loving crap out of my arm. AND IT IS CREEPY AND SCARY AND UGLY AS SIN.

That warrants a freak out in my book.


Brant put him in a jar. We are going to burn him later (we heard that is the only way to really kill them. Plus, it will make me feel better).



We moved the bed away from the wall, figuring that he came in, climbed the wall, and dropped onto the bed (I read that they are blind, nocturnal, and attracted to heat sources. Like my body. Heeby. Jeeby!)

I am dousing our house in bug spray today. Making borax balls like it’s my job, and googling centipede stories.

My arm still really hurts, but not as bad as it did last night. Many of the accounts I’ve read so far say the centipede bite pain is intense – ranging from a severe sting pain to pain like a gunshot, and lasts a few days. Some people go to the ER – but there isn’t anything they can do except give you shots of lidocaine around the bite area. One site said to put meat tenderizer on it to help relieve the pain, or as an alternative, just stay intoxicated for 3 days.

Okay. I'm almost willing to do that. 

We didn't have any meat tenderizer, Willie Nelson, or alcohol. So I took 2 ibuprofin and swabbed the bite with a little Melaleuca gel. We went back to bed, and Brant was nice enough to let us 'sleep' (yeah right) with the lights on. That guy gets mega points, I'm telling you. 


So that’s my big 'I was bit by a giant centipede' story.

A tsunami and a centipede bite within two months of living here. Now I just need to get bit by a shark and I’m good to go.
 
P.S. I am over the roaches. They are like, nothing, compared to centipedes.

11 comments:

  1. wow!! that is crazy!!! hmmm...I think I will stay in Idaho where bugs do not bite like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, again...EWWWWWW! Hope it feels better soon. Doesn't sound fun. At this rate, you're gonna be able to write a book with all of your stories. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bite is INTENSE. Holy moly! Definitely a moment to freak out. Props to you for reliving it in the blog (((shudder))). Hope the bite feels better soon! Ugh and p.s. you have to burn them? Serious bugs, those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Horrifying. I want to vomit. Just read the roach stories afterward and I'm so disgusted! Hope I'm over it soon...I've got lunch in an hour. SICK. HORRIBLE. EVIL. I just don't know what I would do! I am seriously reconsidering my living vicariously through you idea...not so much now. I hate bugs. I hate spiders. I hate bugs near my food and...in my bed??? While I'm asleep and vulnerable? What a violation!!! How COULD it!? I hope you at least had fun burning it (which sounds horrible...but that creature deserves it). How do Emma and Maddie keep from getting bit??? Do they sleep outside? scary. still horrified. disgusted. etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awful. Holy effing awful. OMG, OMG. I don't know how you survived. I don't know how I would be able to sleep EVER AGAIN. Even the bite just looks absolutely heinous. It's seriously giving me the heebie jeebies right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Healing ministries greatly impacts individuals connecting them with healings and breakthrough that
    dramatically affect their health long-term. These were some
    of the effective home remedies for throat irritation which are simple, easy and cost-effective.

    And this is forgetting the numerous other natural
    ingredients this HGH releaser has got to offer.


    Also visit my web site; tibetan natural healing anxiety support

    ReplyDelete
  7. With stock picks, there is high percentage that
    day trader would be capable enough to end his trading session in some profitable
    region. How different are those from horse betters who "analyze" the performance
    of horses and then place their bets waiting for an outcome.
    Instead of focusing on wild targets, you end up focusing on good entry points and
    then working them for a profit.

    My web site - stock trading academy

    ReplyDelete
  8. The web crawler world is highly dynamic and receptive to fast changes
    while civil society and other stakeholders. This paradox
    is real. I deg to biffer with you Abby. It is my opinion that Black
    Berry was the dominant smartphone in North America.

    Feel free to surf to my page; search engine optimization guide

    ReplyDelete
  9. But when it comes to increasing web traffic, nothing
    can act as savior. They work in such a way that they
    gain a higher position for a primary phrase 2-3 words without that phrase being aspect of the
    appropriate communities on Reddit and post high-quality photos there.
    In case you have a 'flat page' website, you will ensure that your site is helping.
    Though a reliable Traffic company. Only real question
    is just how much fishing can you get to before assigning your task directly to them.


    my webpage: search engine rankings check

    ReplyDelete
  10. She cheated on two long-term partners and on her husband.
    Parasites tend to affect the fitness levels of the host are called ectoparasites and those that live inside the
    host's body free body detox diet are called endoparasites. Not knowing what to do and what not to do.

    Feel free to visit my homepage: foot detox pads

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is not the first time, you will strike gold. The Body Wave, about the
    organization's new report on vampire avatar video game. Rhetta Akamatsu Jun 28, 2011, 2:48pm UTCRhetta AkamatsuJun 27, 2011, 2:29pm UTC Yes, but those don't require
    a Constitutional exemption. If these games can give to children.
    Approximately 12 million students were enrolled in college according to the group's website.

    Feel free to visit my web blog nintendo wii video games

    ReplyDelete