Thursday, April 21, 2011

Random and Happy

Ah, I'm sitting here this morning, perched on the corner of the couch with my coffee - laptop wedged on the corner of the endtable nearest the window. The internet connection flickers in and out, but in this one spot on the end table it seems to get the most consistent connection. Can't complain really, it's free internet.

The morning birds are singing loud. I love waking up to them. 

My throat still hurts and my ears are plugged. Can't decide if it's allergies or a cold. Brant votes allergies. He is usually right, but I refuse to have allergies in Maui. Body? Take notice: I refuse!

Brant started a new job the other day. Last Friday was payday at his old job, and his old boss shorted all employees hundreds of dollars out of their paychecks. His excuse was that he 'had to pay his mortgage and taxes.'

Um yeah. AND you are supposed to pay your employees too.

On top of a building pile of issues, not being fully paid was the last straw. Brant went to work Monday morning, but came home at lunch. He went to a job interview that afternoon and landed a new job. Same salary as the old job, plus additional perks like health insurance and a gas card. Sweet! So far, he is loving the new job. Great co-workers, great environment. I am really stoked for him, because he already seems happier in this new job.And how awesome is my husband? Seriously. To quit a job and get a new one all in the same day? I may be a little biased, but I say he is amazing.

One other thing I am learning from this whole job experience - there is no point in worrying about tomorrow. Budget, smudget. A budget doesn't work when you don't get paid! We (I) had this whole budget written out - down to gas, food, and spending money for each week (he was paid weekly at his old job). That budget was obviously thrown out with the old job. New job is on a different pay schedule, and so we move on. Wait it out and live lean until we have a surplus again. I know budgets really work for a lot of people. But I'm telling you - in my life, it works better to take it day by day. I have fought against that idea for years, thinking that we would be irresponsible if we didn't plan out how to save and pay our bills, etc. But you know what? It's just never really worked for us.

Anyway, that's whats going on over here.

Oh, and I have a phone interview in a couple days (with a company I am super excited about!!!).

As soon as I am done typing this, I am going to finish the paperwork I started yesterday (puke) and straighten up the house. And then, THEN, I am going to the beach. To lay in the sun and get tan.

It's a great day.

I hope you are having a great day too.

1 comment:

  1. Awesomeness about the job situation! That's really cool. If I say "bite me" to the whole "I'm going to go lay on a beach" thing, in Hawaii, can you take it in the spirit it's intended? That is, of course, abject jealousy, bitterness & resentment.

    But, hey, thumbs up on the job! ;)

    ReplyDelete