Friday, May 13, 2011

Mahana Ridge Trail Hike


* I wrote this last night, but was way too lazy to actually post it. So if the time-line seems off, that's why. 

Yesterday I went for my second hike with the group Maui Hikes, and it was awesome. Great trail, nice distance, incredible views, and awesome company. Many, many photos were taken and thankfully I wasn’t the only one holding up the group to get just one more angle of many shots.  I dig my fellow hikers. They were Erik (founder of Maui Hikes), Chris (Erik’s friend) and Debbie (just flew in the night before, visiting from California).











I should be posting an informal review of our hike (plus more pics) on the Maui Hikes site soon.  I'll let you know when it's up. 

Today, my legs are tired. I covered another couple of miles along the beach after our hike, while waiting for Brant to pick me up, making my total mileage around 8.25 miles. So much for that mere 30 minutes of cross-training I was supposed to do. I nixed my run today, due to dead, sore legs. I don’t know – I’m positive I could have pulled myself off the couch and run. I’m not that tired. But my shins are sore, and I decided that yesterdays time and distance on my feet count towards training, so I’m just gonna not run today, and then continue with training days as normal. Isn’t it crazy how we runners have to twirl it around in our heads, and justify if we do or don’t run? Will it mess up my training? Am I being a wimp? Suck it up? But will I be promoting injury? Less is more?   If you only knew how much brain energy I put into deciding whether I should run today or not.  I KNOW I’m not the only one who does this. Fess up.

Runners are a special kind of crazy.

It’s out of my hands now. The sun is getting ready to go down and no way this girl is running in the dark. Brant is on his way home from work with explicit instructions to bring Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

I’m eating processed candy crap for dessert, but guess what I had for lunch?



It may look like pea green baby turds on veggies, but in fact it is cucumber & tomatoes topped with balsamic basil dip. Picked up a bag of local basil and cherry tomatoes at the farmers market yesterday and I don’t know, I guess I felt like turning snob because I made an appetizer that required balancing vegetables. And involved dip that looks like  a baby diaper, but tastes like tomato/basil/balsamic heaven. I’m sure caviar doesn’t look pretty either.

Dip
Put these things into a blender or food processor:

½ an avocado
spoonful of veganaise
1 – 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (to taste)
6 – 7  large leaves of fresh basil (or more, depending on your tastebuds)

Blend it.

Slice cucumbers. Slice cherry tomatoes in half and put on top of cucumber slice. Top with dip. Drizzle with more balsamic and fresh ground black pepper. Feel high and mighty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment